How to Remove Write Protection Error From SD Card/Pendrive [Solved] : Recently, someone mailed me about this error and I could not find any solution online that would work. I realized that I’ve faced similar problems in past and so, I worked upon to find the legitimate solution regarding solving write protection error.
Let us first understand what is write protection error? It’s not a virus but a simple error. It prevents files and folders from getting formatted or deleted. While you insert any pen drive or external hard drive which has a virus it affects your system and causes this error.
Write Protection Error looks similar to the above image in which you’re not able to delete any files or folders when you insert an external data source1.
If you’re facing similar problem currently, then please don’t worry just follow the below-given guide and you’ll be able to solve this problem.
How To Remove Write Protection from SD Card in Registry Using Regedit?
Removing write protection error is very simple and easy and it’s not a rocket science to fix it. Just follow the below steps and you’ll be all set.
- Go to start menu and type “REGEDIT“.
- Now Open >Registry Editor<.
- Now Navigate to the below-mentioned key:
- Now, on the right panel of the REGEDIT there will be write protection, just click on it.
- Now, just change the value between 1 to 10 and close the REGEDIT completely.
- Don’t forget to restart your windows system and eject your pen drive and Micro SD Card.
- After restarting just insert back your external storage device and now try to delete the files and folder. You should be able to delete it without any hassle.
This should work for you. Just-in-case if you the above-mentioned method doesn’t work for you then please continue reading any try another method to remove write protection error from micro sd card.
Remove Write Protection From Micro SD Card Using Diskart
Now, just insert your Micro SD Card and open CMD (Command Prompt) from the start menu of your windows system.
Now, after opening command prompt just enter the keywords mentioned below.
- list disk
- select disk x (where x is just the number of your Micro SD Card)
- attributes disk clear readonly
- create partition primary
- format fs=fat32 (you can simply swap fat32 for ntfs if you are only in need to use the external drives with windows system)
This can work for you and if it doesn’t just try another method mentioned below.
Removal of Write Protection by File Disabling
- Insert your Memory Card (SD Card) and right click on it.
- Select properties under the security tab.
- Now, change the permission for the Micro SD card to “Read & Write”.
- You just need to change this and you’ll be able to delete files and folders in it.
Check for Virus
Sometimes, this kind of errors can occur because of the virus present in the external source you’re trying to insert. And it is always good to scan for viruses before opening up any external storage devices in your system. You can use any free anti-virus for this. I’d suggest you use Avast Free Antivirus if you want.
We’ve made a tutorial video as well, kindly check it out.
I’d hope you liked our article on How to Remove Write Protection from Micro SD Card. Please check out our other aritcles as well such as How to remove shortcut virus and other how-to guides.
Also, if you’re still not able to solve the write protection error problem then please feel free to comment below or contact us directly about your queries. We’re happy to help. And, if you’ve found any new solution regarding this problem please let us know so, we will update the article and other people can be benefited from your solution.
External Data sources are Pen Drive, Hard drives, Memory cards etc↩